Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Heading to Oregon - Sunday, May 23 - Day 2

Mmmmmm ....

Waking up in the Shelburne Inn on Sunday morning … lying under the comforter on that cozy bed … listening to the rain. Ohhhh … with every fiber of my being, I wanted to stay warm and snuggly in bed. But wait! Is that bacon I smell? And coffee? I’m up!

Showered in the amazing deep claw-foot tub. The shower curtain was a little confining, but all was good. The shower was great. Packed up our stuff and down to breakfast. Breakfast was quite a treat. The quality and quantity of food was incredible. Four eggs perfectly scrambled with grated cheddar and crumbled feta on top, bacon extra crispy as I requested, potatoes, “real” toast, fruit, and coffee, coffee, coffee. Bob had an incredible omelette filled with Italian sausage, wild mushrooms, cheese. Reluctantly we finished up our breakfast and checked out, promising to be back.
Seaview is a beautiful little town, and we will return to the Long Beach area. I actually did find out that during the whale migration in March, the area at the tip of Long Beach (Ilwaco) has the highest number of whale sightings along the entire Pacific area. It’s likely because it’s the spot where the Columbia River empties into the Pacific.

On the road we go …

… to that miserable God-forsaken Astoria-Megler Bridge. It connects Washington State and Oregon across the Columbia River. And it’s long. Very, very, very long. How long? 21,474 feet. That’s how long. It was built to withstand 240 km/h winds. That’s nice. I did take pictures, but I must have been so rattled by the thought of being on that bridge that I had my camera setting on “A” for Aperture Priority instead of “Auto”, so … no pictures. Just this one that I copied from the internet.


Oh yeah, I was on that. Yep … ME! With the bridge-phobia. Uh huh. Now, here’s the other kicker – just as we got off that bridge, went a couple of kms and … yes … another long freakin’ bridge. *sigh* I would find out that Oregon has a lot of bridges.


Driving along the coast of Oregon is absolutely amazing. I will use and overuse the words “amazing”, “magical”, “incredible”. And I don’t apologize for that. Seeing the things that we’d seen in pictures before – the Haystacks and Needles at Cannon Beach – is beyond description. Cannon Beach is breath-taking. It’s also a very popular photo-op location, so it was hard to get great pictures with no people in them. Actually, it was really hard for me because at that point, I hadn’t figured out my camera setting blunder yet. I “thought” I was getting some great shots. Back in the car, we discovered my camera glitch and happily, I was able to get some great shots of the rocks from the road.











There were so many wonderful little / medium / bigger towns along the way. We would love to have had time to do some exploring, but we had underestimated the fact that the road was slow and winding and wanting to make it to Heceta Head reasonably on time, we filed those places under “Next Time”.

No comments:

Post a Comment